From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: CPU upgrade and LVM questions.
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2018 23:46:56
1 On 07/12/2018 09:30, Dale wrote:
2 > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> If you want to see all of the installed packages that are affected,
4 >> you need to set CPU_FLAGS_X86 to an empty string:
5 >>
6 >>   CPU_FLAGS_X86=""
7 >>
8 >> and then do "emerge -puDN --with-bdeps=y @world". This is because
9 >> CPU_FLAGS_X86 is not empty by default. It contains sse and sse2 by
10 >> default, because these are supported by all 64-bit CPUs.
13 > What I did, I commented out the whole line and ran it that way.
14
15 If you comment it out, it will have default values. If you set it to an
16 empty string, you should be able to see which packages make use of the
17 default flags (like sse and sse2.)
18
19 Note it's a pretend emerge (-p). Just to check which packages you have
20 installed that make use of these flags.
23 > One last question for anyone who has done this recently.  When finished,
24 > I'll have a FX-8350 CPU with 8 cores at 4.0/4.2GHz, 32GBs of memory all
25 > on a Gigabyte 970 series mobo.  Would there be any point in upgrading to
26 > a whole new rig or is what I have about as fast is reasonable to build?
27 > I don't do gaming or anything.  Even the GTX 650 video card is likely
28 > overkill for what I do here.  The older 200 series card is working just
29 > fine.  On one hand, my current build is several years old.  On the
30 > other, computers seem to have reached their peak.  I'm sure there is
31 > more powerful systems out there but would I be any better off with one?
32
33 If you don't play video games, it's fine.