From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: CPU upgrade and LVM questions.
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2018 23:59:49
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 07/12/2018 09:30, Dale wrote:
3 >> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 >>> If you want to see all of the installed packages that are affected,
5 >>> you need to set CPU_FLAGS_X86 to an empty string:
6 >>>
7 >>>    CPU_FLAGS_X86=""
8 >>>
9 >>> and then do "emerge -puDN --with-bdeps=y @world". This is because
10 >>> CPU_FLAGS_X86 is not empty by default. It contains sse and sse2 by
11 >>> default, because these are supported by all 64-bit CPUs.
12 >>>
13 >>
14 >> What I did, I commented out the whole line and ran it that way.
15 >
16 > If you comment it out, it will have default values. If you set it to
17 > an empty string, you should be able to see which packages make use of
18 > the default flags (like sse and sse2.)
19 >
20 > Note it's a pretend emerge (-p). Just to check which packages you have
21 > installed that make use of these flags.
25 I'm pretty sure I tried it empty as well.  On one hand, it makes sense
26 that it only affects video type packages since those are mostly about
27 video stuff, right?  I'd never thought about it before.  I just always
28 get the info from that gcc command or the cpu flag tool and put them
29 in.  I never paid any attention to what packages it affected.
32 >> One last question for anyone who has done this recently.  When finished,
33 >> I'll have a FX-8350 CPU with 8 cores at 4.0/4.2GHz, 32GBs of memory all
34 >> on a Gigabyte 970 series mobo.  Would there be any point in upgrading to
35 >> a whole new rig or is what I have about as fast is reasonable to build?
36 >> I don't do gaming or anything.  Even the GTX 650 video card is likely
37 >> overkill for what I do here.  The older 200 series card is working just
38 >> fine.  On one hand, my current build is several years old.  On the
39 >> other, computers seem to have reached their peak.  I'm sure there is
40 >> more powerful systems out there but would I be any better off with one?
41 >
42 > If you don't play video games, it's fine
43
44 Since my mobo will be the oldest part, I may keep a eye out for a sale
45 on them, after the holidays maybe.  If I find one, buy it and just stick
46 it on the shelf in case I need it.  I replaced the power supply just a
47 few years ago.  It should be fine for a while longer.  Still, I may can
48 catch one of those on sale too.  ;-)  If I keep going with this, I'll be
49 looking for a case too. ROFL
50
51 According to the tracking, my CPU fan should be here tomorrow.  That's
52 what I'm waiting for.  I got the CPU several days ago.  May get busy
53 tomorrow or Sunday.  o_O
54
55 Dale
56