From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: CPU upgrade and LVM questions.
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2018 06:22:17
1 On 07/12/2018 07:10, Dale wrote:
2 > Now this is odd.  I changed the settings and ran emerge.  I decided to
3 > use -UDNa options to see if it would catch the changes.  It did.  Thing
4 > is, outside a few video type packages, there were no packages to be
5 > rebuilt.  It seems very few packages actually notice those settings.
6
7 That's correct. Some software has compile-time flags to enable/disable
8 specific CPU features. The ebuilds for that software use CPU_FLAGS_X86
9 to enable the relevant compile-time flags.
10
11 Most software doesn't contain low-level assembly code. Software that
12 does usually deals with video, audio or graphics, where hand crafted
13 low-level optimizations by the developers make sense.
14
15 If you want to see all of the installed packages that are affected, you
16 need to set CPU_FLAGS_X86 to an empty string:
17
18 CPU_FLAGS_X86=""
19
20 and then do "emerge -puDN --with-bdeps=y @world". This is because
21 CPU_FLAGS_X86 is not empty by default. It contains sse and sse2 by
22 default, because these are supported by all 64-bit CPUs.
25 > My only question left, will those flags affect the kernel image itself?
26 > I may just have to make sure my USB stick works.
27
28 No. The kernel configuration is completely separate from anything in
29 make.conf. CFLAGS or CPU_FLAGS_X86 do not affect kernel builds.