From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] System for PIII now lives in K7; any way to rebuild without full reinstall?
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 22:55:32
1 On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 18:31:33 -0500
2 Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > Dan Farrell wrote:
5 > > Howdy folks. Today I have a fun exercise but am short on ideas.
6 > > Any suggestions?
7 > >
8 > > I have an old hard drive from my router, a Pentium III. Now i've
9 > > gone and put that hard drive in an Athlon-based machine, which
10 > > doesn't support the P-III instruction set completely.
11 > >
12 > > The computer boots and the kernel runs just fine, but many of the
13 > > programs do not work. The biggest thorn in my side is emerge not
14 > > working; therefore, I can't fix the problem with a simle empty-tree
15 > > emerge.
16 > >
17 > > I am considering doing a full reinstall. But, I don't want to be
18 > > bothered.
19 > >
20 > > What do you all think of the idea of extracting a stage3 onto an
21 > > existing installation? Is there any way this could yield a set of
22 > > utilities (namely python or emerge, whichever isn't working now)
23 > > enough so that I could successfully issue an 'emerge -e world' ?
24 > >
25 > > Thanks for your time and suggestions,
26 > > Dan Farrell
30 > There is a portage rescue method. Here is the info for ya:
31 >
32 > > Please see
33 > > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/portage/doc/manually-fixing-portage.xml
34 > > for a recovery guide for a broken portage installation.
35 >
36 > Then you should be able to adjust make.conf and emerge the whole
37 > world.
38 >
39 > I hope that helps.
40 >
41 > Dale
42 >
43 > :-) :-)
44 >
45 Interestingly enough, that didn't work. I ended up untarring a stage
46 three onto the hard drive and going from there. It would have worked
47 really well if I had bothered to protect my portage world files and
48 such. As it is I think I'll have to rebuild a lot of stuff over again,
49 in that it seems I installed a stage3-fresh world package listing over
50 my old one. Oh well, it was an entirely different system anyway, and
51 this old system was 3+ years old, so it was probably about time for a
52 rebuild anyway.
53 --
54 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list