From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] System for PIII now lives in K7; any way to rebuild without full reinstall?
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 23:43:10
1 Dan Farrell wrote:
2 > Howdy folks. Today I have a fun exercise but am short on ideas. Any
3 > suggestions?
4 >
5 > I have an old hard drive from my router, a Pentium III. Now i've gone
6 > and put that hard drive in an Athlon-based machine, which doesn't
7 > support the P-III instruction set completely.
8 >
9 > The computer boots and the kernel runs just fine, but many of the
10 > programs do not work. The biggest thorn in my side is emerge not
11 > working; therefore, I can't fix the problem with a simle empty-tree
12 > emerge.
13 >
14 > I am considering doing a full reinstall. But, I don't want to be
15 > bothered.
16 >
17 > What do you all think of the idea of extracting a stage3 onto an
18 > existing installation? Is there any way this could yield a set of
19 > utilities (namely python or emerge, whichever isn't working now) enough
20 > so that I could successfully issue an 'emerge -e world' ?
21 >
22 > Thanks for your time and suggestions,
23 > Dan Farrell
27 There is a portage rescue method. Here is the info for ya:
28
29 > Please see
30 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/portage/doc/manually-fixing-portage.xml
31 > for a recovery guide for a broken portage installation.
32
33 Then you should be able to adjust make.conf and emerge the whole world.
34
35 I hope that helps.
36
37 Dale