From: Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: dual booting 2 gentoo installations
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 05:06:48
1 > I take it you've already observed that you can also share portage and
2 > distfiles directories? Easiest is if they are on their own partitions but
3 > there are tricks that can get the same effect if not. How to do this is left
4 > as an exercise for the reader :-) with one tip for those who don't know:
5 >
6 > mount -o bind
7 > --
8 > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
9 I know about mount -o bind.
10 However, (forgive me if this is naive), why not just a symlink? That
11 is the way I do.
12 I want my root partition to be small (for performance reasons), so I
13 put things that don't need speed int its own partion, which I mount in
14 /usr/local/slowpart (the name fits; the partition is at the end of the
15 harddisk and 80% full, so it is slower than the root partion, that is
16 at the beginning of the hard disk and 7% full.
17 In this slowpart, I have DISTDIR, PKGDIR, and some personal files that
18 are not frequently accessed (such as files I will likely never use but
19 kept for safety). I configure DISTDIR and PKGDIR in make.conf, but the
20 personal files are linked to my home via symbolic links.
21
22 Another reason for having a different partition is that I can easily
23 backup my other personal data to it when I have to format the root
24 partition.