From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: dual booting 2 gentoo installations
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 22:52:03
1 On Tuesday 25 November 2008 00:16:26 Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > > You have the right idea.
3 > >
4 > > Make sure your paths are correct when you install. I see you have
5 > > different conventions on the two drives. Don't get confused :-)
6 >
7 > Thanks but I'm not sure what you mean by conventions... do you mean
8 > differences like that boot is not a separate partition?
9
10 yes, that's the bit that caught my eye
11
12 > And the install is already largely done but still from a chrooted
13 > shell with the original Installation booted.
14
15 You can put the various files and directories anywhere you want to within
16 reason, so as long as the bootloader points to the right place, it will all
17 just work.
18
19 I take it you've already observed that you can also share portage and
20 distfiles directories? Easiest is if they are on their own partitions but
21 there are tricks that can get the same effect if not. How to do this is left
22 as an exercise for the reader :-) with one tip for those who don't know:
23
24 mount -o bind
27 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com