From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: dual booting 2 gentoo installations
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 06:56:28
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 25 November 2008 00:16:26 Harry Putnam wrote:
3 >
4 >>> You have the right idea.
5 >>>
6 >>> Make sure your paths are correct when you install. I see you have
7 >>> different conventions on the two drives. Don't get confused :-)
8 >>>
9 >> Thanks but I'm not sure what you mean by conventions... do you mean
10 >> differences like that boot is not a separate partition?
13 > yes, that's the bit that caught my eye
16 >> And the install is already largely done but still from a chrooted
17 >> shell with the original Installation booted.
20 > You can put the various files and directories anywhere you want to within
21 > reason, so as long as the bootloader points to the right place, it will all
22 > just work.
23 >
24 > I take it you've already observed that you can also share portage and
25 > distfiles directories? Easiest is if they are on their own partitions but
26 > there are tricks that can get the same effect if not. How to do this is left
27 > as an exercise for the reader :-) with one tip for those who don't know:
28 >
29 > mount -o bind
33 Could he not share /boot? He may want to have a different set of
34 kernels for some reason but couldn't he even share those? I ask cause I
35 shared when I dual booted Mandrake and Gentoo. Naturally Mandrake
36 didn't last long. LOL It did have different kernels tho. Mandrake
37 used modules like a mad man.
38
39 Dale
40