From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Changing dependencies without upping version ??
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 17:03:59
1 On 2017-09-25 22:24, Michael Palimaka wrote:
2
3 > I see a few complaints in this thread, but nobody so far has
4 > elaborated on the problem they have with this change.
5
6 The problem is that if I want to complete the upgrade the way portage
7 suggests, I have to (newly) allow in and time-consumingly build _all_
8 the qt5 core libraries, since they depend on one another in nearly
9 circular fashion, and the updated qtcustomplot becomes the "camel's
10 nose".
11
12 I dealt with this by unmerging the few qt using apps I had installed and
13 finding alternatives for them. Some of the alternatives are inferior,
14 but it beats this "eternal transition" qt stuff. I'll make a prediction
15 but I don't expect anyone to bet: by the time all useful packages
16 migrate to qt5, the qt6 transition will already be in full swing.
19 Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet,
20 if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup.
21 Do obvious transformation on domain to reply privately _only_ on Usenet.