From: Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Changing dependencies without upping version ??
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2017 12:01:59
1 On 09/26/2017 03:03 AM, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > On 2017-09-25 22:24, Michael Palimaka wrote:
3 >
4 >> I see a few complaints in this thread, but nobody so far has
5 >> elaborated on the problem they have with this change.
6 >
7 > The problem is that if I want to complete the upgrade the way portage
8 > suggests, I have to (newly) allow in and time-consumingly build _all_
9 > the qt5 core libraries, since they depend on one another in nearly
10 > circular fashion, and the updated qtcustomplot becomes the "camel's
11 > nose".
12 >
13 > I dealt with this by unmerging the few qt using apps I had installed and
14 > finding alternatives for them. Some of the alternatives are inferior,
15 > but it beats this "eternal transition" qt stuff. I'll make a prediction
16 > but I don't expect anyone to bet: by the time all useful packages
17 > migrate to qt5, the qt6 transition will already be in full swing.
20 If the only argument is you don't want to upgrade, I'm afraid there's
21 not much we can do to help you.
22
23 The reality is that Qt 4 has not been maintained for over 2 years and is
24 starting to break in worse and worse ways. As we do not have the
25 resources to maintain a local fork, we have no choice but to follow
26 upstream's decision to kill it off.