From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Changing dependencies without upping version ??
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2017 18:46:03
1 On 2017-09-26 22:01, Michael Palimaka wrote:
2
3 > If the only argument is you don't want to upgrade, I'm afraid there's
4 > not much we can do to help you.
5
6 You're right that I don't want to upgrade, and I have already explained
7 my workaround for that. But that is _not_ what I'm complaining about in
8 this thread. Rather, my complaint is that such a major change is hidden
9 in an ebuild edit with no version/revision bump, which means I cannot
10 use the normal means (ie. package.mask) to prevent it. Before I decided
11 to drop Qt completely, I had to make a local package of qtcustomplot in
12 my own repo.
13
14 Surely there are other reasons against this kind of thing? What if
15 someone reports a bug in the package? Now you don't know from the
16 version/rev number if it's linked with Qt4 or Qt5. Is that not
17 important?
20 Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet,
21 if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup.
22 Do obvious transformation on domain to reply privately _only_ on Usenet.