From: Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Changing dependencies without upping version ??
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 00:38:56
1 Am Tue, 26 Sep 2017 11:45:45 -0700
2 schrieb Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>:
3
4 > On 2017-09-26 22:01, Michael Palimaka wrote:
5 >
6 > > If the only argument is you don't want to upgrade, I'm afraid
7 > > there's not much we can do to help you.
8 >
9 > You're right that I don't want to upgrade, and I have already
10 > explained my workaround for that. But that is _not_ what I'm
11 > complaining about in this thread. Rather, my complaint is that such
12 > a major change is hidden in an ebuild edit with no version/revision
13 > bump, which means I cannot use the normal means (ie. package.mask) to
14 > prevent it. Before I decided to drop Qt completely, I had to make a
15 > local package of qtcustomplot in my own repo.
16
17 If you don't want (or cannot) upgrade, you have two options:
18
19 1. Prepare to maintain your own overlay and deal with it
20
21 2. Don't use a rolling release distribution
24 Personally, and since you seem to know enough to manage your own
25 overlay, I'd stick to #1.
28 > Surely there are other reasons against this kind of thing? What if
29 > someone reports a bug in the package? Now you don't know from the
30 > version/rev number if it's linked with Qt4 or Qt5. Is that not
31 > important?
32
33 The problem seems to be that while the package can be built against
34 both qt4 and qt5, qt4 wasn't present at all.
35
36 A proper way I'm sure you could have arranged with, would have been to
37 introduce both useflags, then mask the qt4 useflag and mark it for
38 removal during the next version bump. That would have given you an easy
39 opportunity to properly react to the change, by either unmasking the
40 flag and pinning the version, or copy the ebuild from db/pkg to your
41 own overlay.
42
43 I don't know how Gentoo policy suggests but I'm pretty sure this is one
44 of the official ways to prevent exactly your problem.
45
46 In the long way, tho, due to qt4 breakage, the qt5 useflag had to be
47 introduced, and qt4 support had to be dropped. But maybe not in just
48 one single step without revbump.
49
50 The change causes rebuilds for most qt users anyways, as either you had
51 one of the flags enabled and that resulted in a useflag change thus
52 rebuild, or: None of the useflags was set, and then you were not
53 affected (which probably was the "short sighted" decision for doing it
54 without a revbump in the first place).
58 Regards,
59 Kai
60
61 Replies to list-only preferred.