From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT encfs] When encfs gets hungup
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 18:15:45
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> writes:
2
3 > On Fri, 08 Jul 2011 14:35:55 -0400, Albert Hopkins wrote:
4 >
5 >> Having said that:
6 >> One of encfs's Achilles heel is its dependency on the boost C++ library
7 >> which is *very* sensitive wrt to API/ABI changes and the like. It also
8 >> depends on OpenSSL which also shares this notoriety (although, in my
9 >> experience, less so). So there is a possibility that an update to any
10 >> of those packages may have broken encfs and you need to rebuild the
11 >> package.
12 >
13 > Apart from the need to access legacy data, which Harry has resolved by
14 > reformatting, is there any benefit in using encfs rather than the
15 > in-kernel ecryptfs these days?
16
17 Are you using ecryptfs? I started looking around and thinking exactly
18 what Albert says is not a proper response, and wondering if ecryptfs
19 might be a better choice.
20
21 Also after seeing no responses or any posts at all on the encfs group,
22 I wondered if ecryptfs is under active development, as it appears
23 encfs is not. So, for that reason alone, (assuming there is current
24 active devel going on with ecryptfs) it might be good to switch.
25
26 I will admit though, that I have had several trouble free yrs of use
27 with encfs.. and it appears now that my reported problems may have
28 been largely self inflicted wounds.