From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: New Gentoo Laptop
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 22:28:14
1 Timothy A. Holmes <tholmes <at> mcaschool.net> writes:
2
3 > > Here's a random list of ideas that may ease the pain of conversion.
4 > >
5 > > 1. backup the existing system
6 > >
7 > > 2. Run lspci -vv, lshw, and discover to document the hardware
8 > > under ubuntu before beginnning the conversion. USBview can be valuable
9 > > is you have usb devices.
10 > >
11 > > 3. Save the.config file for building a kernel or the existing kernel
12 > > under ubuntu
13 > >
14 > > 4. Save the hdparm settings on the existing drive, as well as the
15 > > /etc/fstab
16 > > and xorg or xfree configuration files. In fact a second backup of
17 > /etc/
18 > > and any other valuable config files is a good idea.
19 > >
20 > > 5. Boot the laptop with the most recent liveCD (gentoo) and see what
21 > works
22 > > and
23 > > what does not work.
24 > >
25 > > 6. Research all hardware device driver issues before making the
26 > > commitment.
27 > >
28 > > 7. Save a 'dmesg' log file.
31 > > hth,
32 > >
33 > > James
37 > > --
38 > > gentoo-user <at> gentoo.org mailing list
39 > [Timothy A. Holmes]
40 >
41 > James -- thanks so much for your help and ideas -- they all sound like
42 > excellent suggestions -- I will comment on each one below
43 >
44 > 1. Thankfully -- I am actually going to be installing on a totally new
45 > hdd, so the backup issue is not really there, the drives will become
46 > interchangeable, and once the linux one is fully working, the original
47 > one will be reformatted as a windows drive for the rare case that the
48 > box would need it
49
50 Well the first thing is to keep your replies, inline, so we can follow
51 the discussion.
52 >
53 > 2. Those sound good -- ive never messed with them, I'm assuming that all
54 > of them have appropriate man pages?
55 >
56 They are very easy to use
57
58 I'm not familiar with ubuntu, but first find the package, install it
59 in each case and then:
60
61 lspci -vv > lspci.results
62
63 lshw > lshw.results
64
65 discover > discover.results
66
67 dmesg > dmesg.results.date
68
69 putting them on a floppy for example:
70 mcopy lspci a:
71 mcopy lshw.results a:
72 mcopy discover.results
73 mcopy dmesg.results.date a:
74
75 > 3. On this one - the kernel is the default one packaged with Ubuntu, I
76 > have done updates out of synaptic, but have not configured it at all. I
77 > don't know how to get a config file for it -- can you point me to a
78 > reference, or give me some instructions
79
80 Not familiar with ubuntu. uname -r should give the kernel version
81 then download sources (ask a ubuntu person for details)
82
83 cd /usr/src
84 ln -sf /usr/src/[ubuntu-kernel-source /usr/src/linux
85 cd /usr/src/linux
86 make meuconfig (hopefully, it'll pick up your default
87 options from the existing kernel)
88
89 (save menuconfig without making changes)
90
91 make
92
93 then copy the /usr/src/linux/.config file to the floppy
94 (it should look like roughly like this:
95
96 <snip>
97 #
98 # Automatically generated make config: don't edit
99 # Linux kernel version: 2.6.12-gentoo-r9
100 # Sat Sep 3 07:37:47 2005
101 #
102 CONFIG_X86=y
103 CONFIG_MMU=y
104 CONFIG_UID16=y
105 CONFIG_GENERIC_ISA_DMA=y
106 CONFIG_GENERIC_IOMAP=y
107
108 #
109 # Code maturity level options
110 #
111 CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=y
112 CONFIG_CLEAN_COMPILE=y
113 CONFIG_LOCK_KERNEL=y
114 CONFIG_INIT_ENV_ARG_LIMIT=32
115 <snip>
116
117 after you build a kernel for the gentoo system, you can see
118 what options(trickery) the ubuntu masters used to create their
119 disk. Note. You may have to add steps to this, it's just an outline.
122 > 4. sounds good -- again thankfully -- it's a drive swap rather than an
123 > overwrite
124 >
125 > 5. Definatly will do
126 >
127 > 6. Also sounds good
128 >
129 > 7. How do I do this???
130
131 on ubuntu
132
133 dmesg > dmesg.ubuntu.date
134 mcopy dmesg.ubuntu.date a:
137 > Thanks again to you and all who have commented, Please keep those
138 > comments coming -- im loving this
139
140 good luck, and with gentoo it's all about learning and enjoying
141 the journey...... all things are possible, in time.
142
143 I John 4:8,9
146 James
153 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list