From: "Timothy A. Holmes" <tholmes@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Re: New Gentoo Laptop
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 21:13:32
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: news [mailto:news@×××××××××.org] On Behalf Of James
3 > Sent: Thursday, December 08, 2005 1:50 PM
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: New Gentoo Laptop
6 >
7 > Timothy A. Holmes <tholmes <at> mcaschool.net> writes:
8 >
9 > > I am planning to begin a project to convert my laptop to a gentoo
10 linux
11 > > laptop.
14 > Here's a random list of ideas that may ease the pain of conversion.
15 >
16 > 1. backup the existing system
17 >
18 > 2. Run lspci -vv, lshw, and discover to document the hardware
19 > under ubuntu before beginnning the conversion. USBview can be valuable
20 > is you have usb devices.
21 >
22 > 3. Save the.config file for building a kernel or the existing kernel
23 > under ubuntu
24 >
25 > 4. Save the hdparm settings on the existing drive, as well as the
26 > /etc/fstab
27 > and xorg or xfree configuration files. In fact a second backup of
28 /etc/
29 > and any other valuable config files is a good idea.
30 >
31 > 5. Boot the laptop with the most recent liveCD (gentoo) and see what
32 works
33 > and
34 > what does not work.
35 >
36 > 6. Research all hardware device driver issues before making the
37 > commitment.
38 >
39 > 7. Save a 'dmesg' log file.
42 > hth,
43 >
44 > James
48 > --
49 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
50 [Timothy A. Holmes]
51
52 James -- thanks so much for your help and ideas -- they all sound like
53 excellent suggestions -- I will comment on each one below
54
55 1. Thankfully -- I am actually going to be installing on a totally new
56 hdd, so the backup issue is not really there, the drives will become
57 interchangeable, and once the linux one is fully working, the original
58 one will be reformatted as a windows drive for the rare case that the
59 box would need it
60
61 2. Those sound good -- ive never messed with them, I'm assuming that all
62 of them have appropriate man pages?
63
64 3. On this one - the kernel is the default one packaged with Ubuntu, I
65 have done updates out of synaptic, but have not configured it at all. I
66 don't know how to get a config file for it -- can you point me to a
67 reference, or give me some instructions
68
69 4. sounds good -- again thankfully -- it's a drive swap rather than an
70 overwrite
71
72 5. Definatly will do
73
74 6. Also sounds good
75
76 7. How do I do this???
77
78 Thanks again to you and all who have commented, Please keep those
79 comments coming -- im loving this
80
81 TIM
84 Timothy A. Holmes
85 IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher
86
87 Medina Christian Academy
88 A Higher Standard...
89