From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: HowTo rebuild everything same way differently
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 01:21:35
1 <Meino.Cramer <at> gmx.de> writes:
2
3 > Therefore I want to reinstall everything the same way (read: same
4 > application and system funktionality) but in a different way: Using
5 > a new stage3 (was it "3" ...dont remember exactly) and I want to make
6 > the system "unstable" right from the beginning just to check, how that
7 > works.
8
9 > Meino
10
11 Let's assume you only have one computer but a second HD:
12
13 What I would do, is pull your existing HD and set it asside; so if you need
14 to you can reboot with it, check something, and switch back to the new
15 install as needed. Continue with what ever advice you have received
16 with the second HD.
19 Easily and quickly reversible.
20
21 If/when we have ansible based installs, something like this is almost
22 trivial. Maybe (wink wink, nudge nudge) we'll get a new install semantic.
23
24 Holy jeepers, batman, we do we do!
25
26 First build up a usbstick with gentoo (~arch)
27 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Install_Gentoo_on_a_bootable_USB_stick
28
29 Then use persistence (the precious?) to make savable changes?
30 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/LiveDVD-Persistence-Mode
33 NO second HD need, just a 16Gb usbstick (or larger) usb3 really helps!
36 hth,
37 James