From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: depclean wants to wipe out KDE3
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 10:49:22
1 On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 03:57:22 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2
3 > And how is putting KDE4 in /usr/kde going to help in this? What
4 > difference does it make if the wrong path is chosen? Surely, it
5 > doesn't matter a bit how that path looks like if it's wrong. If a KDE4
6 > path would come before a KDE3 path in a KDE3 session, the last thing
7 > you care about is whether that path is /usr/bin or /usr/kde/4.1/bin.
8
9 Because /usr/bin will always be in your PATH, so even if you are running a
10 KDE 3 session, KDE4 programs will be loaded. By keeping the separate,not
11 only from one another but also from other programs, you can ensure that
12 your PATH includes only KDE3 or KDE4 programs.
16 Neil Bothwick
17
18 "I'm Not Sure If I'm Homosexual", Said Tom, Half In Earnest.