From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive change
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 15:41:54
1 On Fri, Nov 09, 2012 at 04:14:47PM +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > Am Freitag, 9. November 2012, 01:38:41 schrieb mindrunner:
3 > > volker, what is your intention to say i am dumb and stupid. actually you
4 > > do not know me.
5 >
6 > everybody does something dumb and/or stupid once in a while. I average that
7 > one to 1/day.
8 >
9 > There are two ways to react if someone points out that something you do is not
10 > the best idea since sliced bread.
11 >
12 > -> oops. Yeah, I see it.
13 > or
14 > -> sulking.
17 > > copying on block device level has of cource advantages. and really... i
18 > > dont care about 0.4% fragemntation and some journal log.
21 > no, it does not. Apart from fragmentation you also copy all deleted files. All
22 > damaged blocks AND the UUID.
23 >
24 > Oh, and it is slow (I know, fiddling with blocksize etc you can speed it up a
25 > lot. Still slow).
26 >
27 > > I never made bad experiences with this copy technique.
28 >
29 > which doesn't mean it is a good one.
30 >
31 > > all my hard drives, ssd and virtual containers are working fine without
32 > > any performance issues.
33 >
34 > How do you know?
35 >
36 > > so what exactly is your problem?
37 >
38 > you are telling someone to do something really stupid.
39 >
40 > Create an image with dd to do some file rescuing? forensic stuff? as a template
41 > for containers? To burn it on a dvd/cd? Well, those are valid uses for dd.
42 > Converting files? Yes, that is what dd was made for.
43 >
44 > Copying a partition to another disk, different disk? Wow.. that is just wrong.
45 > Even if both disks were identical it would not be great idea. Just a 'well, it
46 > does work and at least I am not punishing the new disk' way to do it.
47 >
48 > Mind you, cp -auv is not the best way either. With ACLs&co it is not such a
49 > good choice. And I am surprised that Joerg Schilling hasn't posted how
50 > incredible star is for this job yet. Btw, star is a really good tool for the
51 > job. It just needs a lot of typing.
52 >
53 > tar, rsync, cp, star... there are many good or good enough ways to copy files
54 > from one harddisk to another
55 >
56 > dd doesn't belong in that category.
57 >
58 > -
59 > #163933
60
61 Spot on! Here you can be nice and explain to the guy your reasoning behind
62 telling him using dd{whatever} for this job is stupid.
63 --
64 Happy Penguin Computers >')
65 126 Fenco Drive ( \
66 Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^