From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] where can I find USE flags description?
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 01:47:58
1 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 4:41 PM, Paul Hartman
3 > <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 2:15 PM, Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> Hi,
8 >>>
9 >>> I want to emerge a certain package, let's say x11-base/xorg-drivers,
10 >>> so I try first "emerge --pretend xorg-drivers" and find it has ~50
11 >>> various use-flags (some set, some unset). Where can I find their
12 >>> description? For example "vmmouse", what is this USE flag good for?
13 >>> Is it something for vmware?
14 >>>
15 >>> I checked /etc/portage/profiles/use.desc and use.local.desc but
16 >>> there are not all of them...
17 >>>
18 >> I'm sure there are 10 ways of doing it, but this is what I use:
19 >>
20 >> equery u x11-base/xorg-drivers
21 >>
22 >> equery is part of app-portage/gentoolkit in case you don't have it
23 >> installed. It can do other useful things such as tell you which
24 >> package installed a file, or show all files installed by a package.
27 > And in the specific case of xorg-drivers those aren't USE flags at all
28 > but driver flags :)
33 But it beats having to type in each one of them separately with euse
34 -i. I like this little guy:
35
36 root@smoker / # equery u seamonkey
37 [ Searching for packages matching seamonkey... ]
38 [ Colour Code : set unset ]
39 [ Legend : Left column (U) - USE flags from make.conf ]
40 [ : Right column (I) - USE flags packages was installed with ]
41 [ Found these USE variables for www-client/seamonkey-1.1.18 ]
42 U I
43 - - crypt : Add support for encryption -- using mcrypt or gpg
44 where applicable
45 - - debug : Enable extra debug codepaths, like asserts and extra
46 output. If you want to get meaningful backtraces see
47 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/backtraces.xml
48 - - gnome : Adds GNOME support
49 + + ipv6 : Adds support for IP version 6
50 + + java : Adds support for Java
51 + + ldap : Adds LDAP support (Lightweight Directory Access
52 Protocol)
53 - - mozdevelop : Enable features for web developers (e.g. Venkman)
54 - - moznocompose : Disable building of mozilla's HTML editor component
55 - - moznoirc : Disable building of mozilla's IRC client
56 - - moznomail : Disable building mozilla's mail client
57 - - moznopango : Disable x11-libs/pango during runtime
58 - - moznoroaming : sroaming extension support
59 - - postgres : Adds support for the postgresql database
60 - - xforms : XForms is a standard to split up XHTML into XForms,
61 instance data, and user interface
62 - - xinerama : Add support for the xinerama X11 extension, which
63 allows you to stretch your display across multiple monitors
64 root@smoker / #
65
66 This is cool. Can emerge do this too? You know, maybe some flag to
67 have in addition to -p or -a and have it show this? Since I asked,
68 watch it do this in some nice shiney new version of portage. lol
69
70 Yep, another tool to add to frequent commands.
71
72 Dale
73