From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] system.map file in /boot. How to manage?
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2021 09:12:00
1 On Saturday, July 3, 2021 1:54:13 AM CEST Dale wrote:
2 > Daniel Frey wrote:
3 > > On 6/30/21 11:59 PM, Dale wrote:
4 > >> Howdy,
5 > >>
6 > >> The subject line pretty much describes this. How does one manage the
7 > >> system.map file in /boot? Is it needed? Should it be updated with each
8 > >> kernel? I tend to keep 2 to 3 kernels installed. I tend to keep 2 that
9 > >> I know are stable and one testing. After a while, I may remove the
10 > >> oldest one and only have two, just in case. Should I version the
11 > >> system.map file the same as kernels? Does just one with no version get
12 > >> the job done? Update the file with each kernel upgrade or install one
13 > >> and done?
14 > >>
15 > >> While at it, what does it even do? If it needs it, it doesn't matter
16 > >> but just curious.
17 > >>
18 > >> Thanks for any tips on this.
19 > >>
20 > >> Dale
21 > >>
22 > >> :-) :-)
23 > >
24 > > I never copy it over unless I have some kernel panic (so not for well
25 > > over a decade.) So there's nothing for me to manage (I only copy the
26 > > kernel and kernel config to /boot.)
27 > >
28 > > Dan
29 >
30 > So if it isn't there or something, it isn't going to break anything.
31 > That's good to know too.
32
33 I only copy the kernel image (and initrd if required)
34 I haven't done anything with the System.map or config (apart from keeping it
35 updated for compiling the kernel) in over a decade.
36
37 My boot-partition isn't even mounted unless I update the kernel, so a file
38 there wouldn't even be visible to the system.
41 Joost