From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] system.map file in /boot. How to manage?
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2021 23:54:25
1 Daniel Frey wrote:
2 > On 6/30/21 11:59 PM, Dale wrote:
3 >> Howdy,
4 >>
5 >> The subject line pretty much describes this.  How does one manage the
6 >> system.map file in /boot?  Is it needed?  Should it be updated with each
7 >> kernel?  I tend to keep 2 to 3 kernels installed.  I tend to keep 2 that
8 >> I know are stable and one testing.  After a while, I may remove the
9 >> oldest one and only have two, just in case.  Should I version the
10 >> system.map file the same as kernels?  Does just one with no version get
11 >> the job done?  Update the file with each kernel upgrade or install one
12 >> and done?
13 >>
14 >> While at it, what does it even do?  If it needs it, it doesn't matter
15 >> but just curious.
16 >>
17 >> Thanks for any tips on this.
18 >>
19 >> Dale
20 >>
21 >> :-)  :-)
24 > I never copy it over unless I have some kernel panic (so not for well
25 > over a decade.) So there's nothing for me to manage (I only copy the
26 > kernel and kernel config to /boot.)
27 >
28 > Dan
34 So if it isn't there or something, it isn't going to break anything.
35 That's good to know too.
36
37 Dale
38