From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] system.map file in /boot. How to manage?
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2021 23:07:21
1 On 6/30/21 11:59 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > The subject line pretty much describes this.  How does one manage the
5 > system.map file in /boot?  Is it needed?  Should it be updated with each
6 > kernel?  I tend to keep 2 to 3 kernels installed.  I tend to keep 2 that
7 > I know are stable and one testing.  After a while, I may remove the
8 > oldest one and only have two, just in case.  Should I version the
9 > system.map file the same as kernels?  Does just one with no version get
10 > the job done?  Update the file with each kernel upgrade or install one
11 > and done?
12 >
13 > While at it, what does it even do?  If it needs it, it doesn't matter
14 > but just curious.
15 >
16 > Thanks for any tips on this.
17 >
18 > Dale
19 >
23 I never copy it over unless I have some kernel panic (so not for well
24 over a decade.) So there's nothing for me to manage (I only copy the
25 kernel and kernel config to /boot.)
26
27 Dan