From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [ot] An iptables like setup on windowsxp
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 03:56:13
1 On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 08:20:42AM -0500, Harry Putnam wrote
2
3 > These machines will also be internet connected and there for will need
4 > some onboard protection beyond my gateway/firewall.
5 >
6 > I want to find a packet filter like iptables for use on windows. That
7 > is, a text based/editable driven packet filter with most or all the
8 > capabilities of iptables.
9 >
10 > If it is possible to run iptable from cygwin then I'd prefer that
11 > approach. Anyone have pointers/urls?
12
13 Even if you could do it, running iptables under cygwin is *NOT* what
14 you want. Cygwin is a *PROGRAM* running under Windows. Windows will
15 get the packets before iptables-under-cygwin-under-Windows does.
16
17 You need to get hardware between the internet and the Windows machines
18 (i.e. a "hardware firewall"). Try a cheap NATing router. Many
19 broadband modems now include a NATing router. If you want, you can try
20 setting up a linux machine as a firewall-cum-NATing-router. That'll be
21 where iptables shines.
24 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
25 My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca
26 --