From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NetworkManager OK? kNetworkManager broken? Wireless setup very confusing...
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 03:04:49
1 On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 7:37 PM, Darren Kirby <bulliver@×××××.com> wrote:
2 [...]
3 > I am wondering if I should just uninstall KNetworkManager, and try
4 > nm-applet? Will that even work on a KDE desktop? Will it require
5 > installing boatloads of gnome crap I don't want? Should I chuck the
6 > whole works and use Wicd?
7
8 I don't know about KNetworkManager, but nm-applet under GNOME works
9 flawless and without need of any configuration. You just need to
10 disable the Gentoo network scripts (with RC_PLUG_SERVICES="!net.*" in
11 /etc/conf.d/rc) and off you go. No need to change any other
12 configuration file.
13
14 As I understand, nm-applet uses the Freedesktop standar for
15 notification areas, so it should work with KDE. It will pull part of
16 the GNOME stack, obviously, but is really minimal:
17
18 RDEPEND=">=dev-libs/glib-2.16
19 >=dev-libs/dbus-glib-0.74
20 >=sys-apps/dbus-1.2
21 >=x11-libs/gtk+-2.14
22 >=gnome-base/gconf-2.20
23 >=gnome-extra/polkit-gnome-0.92
24 >=x11-libs/libnotify-0.4.3
25 >=gnome-base/libglade-2
26 >=gnome-base/gnome-keyring-2.20
27
28 >=dev-libs/libnl-1.1
29 >=net-misc/networkmanager-${PV}
30 >=net-wireless/wireless-tools-28_pre9
31 >=net-wireless/wpa_supplicant-0.5.7
32 net-misc/mobile-broadband-provider-info
33 bluetooth? ( >=net-wireless/gnome-bluetooth-2.27.6 )"
34
35 And probably you already have most of those packages.
36
37 I used to have my own scripts and utilities, and back in the day I
38 knew wpa_supplicant like the palm of my hand. Now not so much; it's
39 not worth it. The GUI utilities (or at least those from GNOME, which
40 is my preferred desktop) never really fail any more.
41
42 Regards.
43 --
44 Canek Peláez Valdés