From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to properly change CFLAGS ?
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 18:46:12
1 On 8/22/06, Alan Mckinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za> wrote:
2 > Your current compiler was built with -O3, and you want to rebuild the
3 > system using a compiler compiled as -O2, hence the 2 step process.
4
5 *Sigh*. I am so tired of this completely wrong information showing up here.
6
7 1. It does not matter what -OX flag gcc is compiled with. It has
8 absolutely *zero* effect on the code that gcc *generates*.
9
10 2. There is also absolutely no reason to build gcc twice. There is no
11 such thing as a gcc that was built with the "system compiler", because
12 gcc uses itself to build itself. It is called a 3-stage bootstrap,
13 and I suggest you read the gcc documentation first if you want to
14 debate this point.
15
16 -Richard
17 --