From: Alan Mckinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to properly change CFLAGS ?
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 12:26:14
1 On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 22:51 +0200, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2 > I *don't* want to start some flamewar her, I am a newbie in this group,
3 > and I just would like some info on how to do it right, as my extensive
4 > rtfm'ing/googling/etc. has still not given me a satisfying answer.
5 >
6 > I started my Gentoo-installation with CFLAGS containing -O3, believing
7 > to do it right ...
8 >
9 > Now I read about the fact that -O3 results in bigger binaries and isn't
10 > at all guaranteed to give me a faster system. The bigger files result in
11 > more load on IO, so this tells me that it puts the load on the
12 > (relatively slow) 5400 rpm HDD I have in my laptop. OTOH I have "only"
13 > 512 MB RAM in there so it seems interesting to me to go the -O2 way of
14 > doing Gentoo ...
15
16 -O3 tells gcc to do some wild and wonderful optimizations, none of which
17 are guaranteed to perform well, or even to work at all. They have a use
18 and a place, but are not intended for general use.
19
20 -O2 is correct for a general purpose machine
21
22 > Now the question:
23 >
24 > Do I have to do "emerge -e --newuse world" on my system or what else
25 > would be needed?
26
27 modify CFLAGS in /etc/make.conf
28 emerge -e system
29 emerge -s world
30
31 This will rebuild your toolchain (gcc, glibc and friends) to use -O2
32 then rebuild the entire system, including the toolchain again, with -O2.
33 Your current compiler was built with -O3, and you want to rebuild the
34 system using a compiler compiled as -O2, hence the 2 step process.
35
36 Be warned, this will take a LONG time to complete - consider yourself
37 lucky if you get away with 36 hours if you have all OOo and of KDE or
38 Gnome... So you should only consider doing it if you have specific
39 problems caused by -O3
42 alan
46 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list