From: Adrian Frith <adrian@××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to properly change CFLAGS ?
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 18:41:45
1 On Tue, 2006-08-22 at 16:12 +0200, Alan Mckinnon wrote:
2 > modify CFLAGS in /etc/make.conf
3 > emerge -e system
4 > emerge -s world
5 >
6 > This will rebuild your toolchain (gcc, glibc and friends) to use -O2
7 > then rebuild the entire system, including the toolchain again, with -O2.
8 > Your current compiler was built with -O3, and you want to rebuild the
9 > system using a compiler compiled as -O2, hence the 2 step process.
10
11 Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the gcc ebuild in fact use the
12 "make bootstrap" method of compiling gcc? - that is:
13 1. compile with installed compiler -> stage1
14 2. compile with stage1 compiler -> stage2
15 3. compile with stage2 compiler -> stage3
16 4. compare stage2 and stage3 and install stage3 if they are the same
17
18 If I am right, doesn't it mean that the whole "emerge -e system" step is
19 pointless? Couldn't one just do "emerge -u gcc" and then "emerge -e
20 world"? Or am I being stupid?
21
22 Cheers,
23 Adrian