From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] How to properly change CFLAGS ?
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 20:56:10
1 I *don't* want to start some flamewar her, I am a newbie in this group,
2 and I just would like some info on how to do it right, as my extensive
3 rtfm'ing/googling/etc. has still not given me a satisfying answer.
4
5 I started my Gentoo-installation with CFLAGS containing -O3, believing
6 to do it right ...
7
8 Now I read about the fact that -O3 results in bigger binaries and isn't
9 at all guaranteed to give me a faster system. The bigger files result in
10 more load on IO, so this tells me that it puts the load on the
11 (relatively slow) 5400 rpm HDD I have in my laptop. OTOH I have "only"
12 512 MB RAM in there so it seems interesting to me to go the -O2 way of
13 doing Gentoo ...
14
15 Now the question:
16
17 Do I have to do "emerge -e --newuse world" on my system or what else
18 would be needed?
19
20 Is it worth the effort or should I prefer to spend the cpu-cycles on
21 re-emerging only the core-apps of my system? Or forget about it all and
22 enjoy my nice and shiny system as it is, simply editing make.conf to use
23 -O2 for any new emerges coming?
24
25 I am not asking this to get the "best result" in terms of speed or
26 performance, but to make sure that I don't break my system (which has
27 been backed up, sure, thanks ...).
28
29 Greets and thanks, Stefan.
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list