From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to properly change CFLAGS ?
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 21:05:51
1 On 8/21/06, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
2 > Do I have to do "emerge -e --newuse world" on my system or what else
3 > would be needed?
4
5 --newuse is not needed here. "emerge -e world" will catch everything.
6
7 > I am not asking this to get the "best result" in terms of speed or
8 > performance, but to make sure that I don't break my system (which has
9 > been backed up, sure, thanks ...).
10
11 Changing CFLAGS should not cause any breakage. So the choice is
12 entirely up to you whether you want to wait for an "emerge -e system"
13 or "emerge -e world" to complete. I would be tempted to just change
14 the flags and hold off on recompiling everything until the next
15 version of gcc comes out.
16
17 -Richard
18 --