From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 17:50:48
1 On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 1:17 PM, Stroller
2 <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >
4 > On 23 August 2011, at 07:27, Joost Roeleveld wrote:
5 >> ...
6 >>> * found this blog-entry against systemd:
7 >>>
8 >>> http://monolight.cc/2011/05/the-systemd-fallacy/
9 >>>
10 >>> I agree, it might be more useful on desktops ... so far I am still
11 >>> exploring and learning to get to the point to make a decision where and
12 >>> if to use.
13 >>
14 >> I think it is more useful on desktops and laptops, which get rebooted
15 >> regularly. On a server that tends to run for months without a reboot, a fast
16 >> init-system is important.
17 >>
18 >> And I don't really see the point of D-BUS on a server either. All the services
19 >> that need to talk to each other already have working communication paths.
20 >
21 > Reading that blog entry I found discouraging the idea that dbus might be required on my servers in the future, if systemd becomes popular with distros.
22
23 I don't see the problem with D-Bus. It's small (the only hard
24 dependency it has is an XML parser), and it provides the Linux/UNIX
25 (de facto) standard interprocess communication system.
26
27 Regards.
28 --
29 Canek Peláez Valdés