From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Help with backup script
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 12:55:53
1 >> mount -t cifs -o user=reader%XXPASSWDXX //harvey/harvey-c /mnt/
2 >> harvey-c
3 >>
4 >> The directory /mnt/harvey-c has to be created ahead of time.
5 >> The user reader needs to have an account on that windows machine.
6 >>
7 >> You'll need a windows user account username and password. If you
8 >> don't use passwords for windows shares I think you can just leave out
9 >> the %SECRET_PASS, but I'm not sure exactly.
10 >>
11 >> Once the device is mounted locally you can read/write to/from it in
12 >> scripting, then umount it at the end of the script.
13 > Thanks for the reply, I think I didn't make the problem clear enough.
14 > I have a usb server running on my network with 2 external disks
15 > connected to
16 > it. I can read and write to them using smb://lkg5f.homenet.com/
17 > DISK 2/ with
18 > no problems.
19 > I need to mount these drives so that I can run a backup script to
20 > backup all
21 > of my gentoo system. I have tried smbmount and mount -t smbfs but
22 > even after
23 > reading man mount and smbmount I am still unclear as to the correct
24 > format.
25 >
26 mount -t smbfs //lkg5f.homenet.com/DISK 2 /mnt/someplace
27
28 if the share is password protected, after the smbfs, add -o
29 username=whatever,password=whatever
30
31 only root will be able to do this. You might want to try to avoid
32 spaces in your share names in the future...just makes things easier
33 on the unix side.
34 > paul
35 > --
36 > This message has been sent using kmail with gentoo linux
37 > --
38 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list