From: Paul <gentoo@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Help with backup script
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 12:33:18
1 On Wednesday 01 Mar 2006 22:54, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 snip
3 >
4 > One way would be to mount the disk locally using cifs. See
5 > `man mount.cifs' for details but the syntax looks like this:
6 >
7 > From /etc/fstab (This is all one line in fstab)
8 > //harvey/harvey-c /mnt/harvey-c cifs noauto,username=reader,\
9 > credentials=/etc/samba/CifsCredentials
10 >
11 > Those are `UNC' paths like you would use with smbclient. (But not
12 > Kanqueror).
13 >
14 > A command line might look like:
15 >
16 > mount -t cifs -o user=reader%XXPASSWDXX //harvey/harvey-c /mnt/harvey-c
17 >
18 > The directory /mnt/harvey-c has to be created ahead of time.
19 > The user reader needs to have an account on that windows machine.
20 >
21 > You'll need a windows user account username and password. If you
22 > don't use passwords for windows shares I think you can just leave out
23 > the %SECRET_PASS, but I'm not sure exactly.
24 >
25 > Once the device is mounted locally you can read/write to/from it in
26 > scripting, then umount it at the end of the script.
27 Thanks for the reply, I think I didn't make the problem clear enough.
28 I have a usb server running on my network with 2 external disks connected to
29 it. I can read and write to them using smb://lkg5f.homenet.com/DISK 2/ with
30 no problems.
31 I need to mount these drives so that I can run a backup script to backup all
32 of my gentoo system. I have tried smbmount and mount -t smbfs but even after
33 reading man mount and smbmount I am still unclear as to the correct format.
34
35 paul
36 --
37 This message has been sent using kmail with gentoo linux
38 --
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list