From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Raiders of the lost package...
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2014 09:35:53
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> [14-11-02 10:08]:
2 > On 2 November 2014 06:10:11 WET, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > Debain everywhere...
6 > > Ubuntu everywhere...
7 > >
8 > > "To use this library just do a apt-get build-essential, apt-get this
9 > > and apt-get that...your done".
10 > >
11 > > Hrrrmpppfff....
12 > >
13 > > What the heck is "build-essential?" What's hidden behind it?
14 > >
15 > > I am currently facing a similiar problem: I am trying to get
16 > > a TFT display running. For using this library to access this TFT
17 > > one "only" needs to do a ...guess... "apt-get python smbus".
18 > >
19 > > Neither "smbus' nor "I2C" produces any match in the output of
20 > > eix...
21 > >
22 > > What's that package? Is it in Gentoo?
23 > >
24 > > Any help is very appreciated :)
25 > >
26 > > Best regards,
27 > > mcc
28 >
29 > build-essential is a meta-package for the tools needed to build from source, which are already there in Gentoo.
30 >
31 > I use packages.debian.org to see what is in a package, or to see which package contains a file, then eix and educated guesswork usually takes care of the rest.
32 > --
33 > Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
34
35 Hi Neil,
36
37 thanks for the hint! :)