From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Raiders of the lost package...
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2014 09:06:00
1 On 2 November 2014 06:10:11 WET, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Debain everywhere...
5 > Ubuntu everywhere...
6 >
7 > "To use this library just do a apt-get build-essential, apt-get this
8 > and apt-get that...your done".
9 >
10 > Hrrrmpppfff....
11 >
12 > What the heck is "build-essential?" What's hidden behind it?
13 >
14 > I am currently facing a similiar problem: I am trying to get
15 > a TFT display running. For using this library to access this TFT
16 > one "only" needs to do a ...guess... "apt-get python smbus".
17 >
18 > Neither "smbus' nor "I2C" produces any match in the output of
19 > eix...
20 >
21 > What's that package? Is it in Gentoo?
22 >
23 > Any help is very appreciated :)
24 >
25 > Best regards,
26 > mcc
27
28 build-essential is a meta-package for the tools needed to build from source, which are already there in Gentoo.
29
30 I use packages.debian.org to see what is in a package, or to see which package contains a file, then eix and educated guesswork usually takes care of the rest.
31 --
32 Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.