From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: ebuild not inserting soname, therefore emerging zlib fails
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 15:51:24
1 On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 2:17 AM, Alberto Luaces <aluaces@×××.es> wrote:
2 > Alberto Luaces writes:
3 >
4 >> Hi Paul,
5 >>
6 >> Paul Hartman writes:
7 >>
8 >>> On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 11:26 AM, Alberto Luaces <aluaces@×××.es> wrote:
9 >>>> Hello,
10 >>>>
11 >>>> I have searched quite a bit for an error I'm having when emerging
12 >>>> current zlib-1.2.5-r2. The problem is that somehow the soname is not
13 >>>> written in the .so file, and the build process fails. I attach all the
14 >>>> build logs in case I have some obvious misconfiguration that I should be
15 >>>> aware of. I have not changed my CHOSTS or things like that.
16 >>>>
17 >>>> I recompiled the previous version and happened the same, but it seems
18 >>>> at that time not having a soname was not forbidden by the ebuild and I
19 >>>> got just a QA notice.
20 >>>>
21 >>>> If I try to compile zlib from the /var/tmp/portage... directory the
22 >>>> library compiles fine and, in addition, the soname is included this
23 >>>> time. I tried to trace the eclasses in order to know what was happening
24 >>>> but I couldn't.
25 >>>
26 >>> Hi,
27 >>>
28 >>> Based on your settings I am guessing you have used distcc in the past,
29 >>> even though you have disabled it now.
30 >>
31 >> You are right, well spotted!
32 >>
33 >>> I think zlib's configure makes some changes based on if it thinks you
34 >>> use distcc or not. I would try to unset CC in environment and remove
35 >>> -m32 from your CFLAGS and see if it is any different. It's only a
36 >>> guess and you can change it back if it doesn't work.
37 >>>
38 >>
39 >> My environment CC was empty or already unset, I removed the `-m32' tag
40 >> but it happens the same.
41 >>
42 >>>
43 >>> I would also select again your preferences in gcc-config and
44 >>> binutils-config, run env-update and source /etc/profile just to be
45 >>> sure everything is in working order. :)
46 >>>
47 >>
48 >> I followed your advice. I have only another compiler, the mingw cross
49 >> compiler, but I checked that is not selected byb default.
50 >>
51 >> Nevertheless, thank you for your help. You gave me the idea on focusing
52 >> on zlib's configure script in order to see what is failing in the
53 >> detection process.
54 >
55 > I finally found it. Turns out that for using distcc I had to set CC=cc
56 > in make.conf, and with that setting, zlib's configure avoided to build
57 > the shared library. Unsetting CC in make.conf made it working again.
58
59 Glad to hear it, I knew something about that CC looked suspicious. :)