From: Alberto Luaces <aluaces@×××.es>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: ebuild not inserting soname, therefore emerging zlib fails
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 07:19:17
1 Alberto Luaces writes:
2
3 > Hi Paul,
4 >
5 > Paul Hartman writes:
6 >
7 >> On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 11:26 AM, Alberto Luaces <aluaces@×××.es> wrote:
8 >>> Hello,
9 >>>
10 >>> I have searched quite a bit for an error I'm having when emerging
11 >>> current zlib-1.2.5-r2. The problem is that somehow the soname is not
12 >>> written in the .so file, and the build process fails. I attach all the
13 >>> build logs in case I have some obvious misconfiguration that I should be
14 >>> aware of. I have not changed my CHOSTS or things like that.
15 >>>
16 >>> I recompiled the previous version and happened the same, but it seems
17 >>> at that time not having a soname was not forbidden by the ebuild and I
18 >>> got just a QA notice.
19 >>>
20 >>> If I try to compile zlib from the /var/tmp/portage... directory the
21 >>> library compiles fine and, in addition, the soname is included this
22 >>> time. I tried to trace the eclasses in order to know what was happening
23 >>> but I couldn't.
24 >>
25 >> Hi,
26 >>
27 >> Based on your settings I am guessing you have used distcc in the past,
28 >> even though you have disabled it now.
29 >
30 > You are right, well spotted!
31 >
32 >> I think zlib's configure makes some changes based on if it thinks you
33 >> use distcc or not. I would try to unset CC in environment and remove
34 >> -m32 from your CFLAGS and see if it is any different. It's only a
35 >> guess and you can change it back if it doesn't work.
38 > My environment CC was empty or already unset, I removed the `-m32' tag
39 > but it happens the same.
42 >> I would also select again your preferences in gcc-config and
43 >> binutils-config, run env-update and source /etc/profile just to be
44 >> sure everything is in working order. :)
47 > I followed your advice. I have only another compiler, the mingw cross
48 > compiler, but I checked that is not selected byb default.
49 >
50 > Nevertheless, thank you for your help. You gave me the idea on focusing
51 > on zlib's configure script in order to see what is failing in the
52 > detection process.
53
54 I finally found it. Turns out that for using distcc I had to set CC=cc
55 in make.conf, and with that setting, zlib's configure avoided to build
56 the shared library. Unsetting CC in make.conf made it working again.
59 Alberto