From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Downloading Flash videos
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 21:56:25
1 On Tuesday 26 June 2007 22:26, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
2 > Mick schrieb:
3 > > Hi All,
4 > >
5 > > I've been trying to download different flash embedded videos like:
6 > >
7 > > http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4191382246884244677
8 > >
9 > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjV0Gws-BVM
10 > >
11 > > etc.
12 > >
13 > > I have used VideoDownloader with Firefox and FLV Downloader (which didn't
14 > > work) and Video Manager with Opera. It seems that the downloaded video
15 > > is very jumpy (drops huge number of frames) when played back using
16 > > xine/gxine. So I thought of using wget to achieve the same effect but
17 > > without all these helpful GUIs, but cannot see what I should be
18 > > downloading when I look at the HTML source of the YouTube web page.
19 > >
20 > > What would you advise on this?
21 >
22 > As Hans-Werner already mentioned, most embedded (flash)-videos are
23 > stored temporarily on disk in /tmp or in the browser's cache at least
24 > here with firefox. So just wait until it is loaded and don't close the
25 > browser window then copy it to where you want. Btw. YouTube and
26 > GoogleVideo store them to /tmp.
27 >
28 > They play well with mplayer, xine, vlc which i use, others will also work.
29
30 Thank you All,
31
32 Good tip, should have thought of looking into /tmp, or the browser cache. I
33 did some comparative playbacks and xine/gxine drop frames like mad, while
34 mplayer manages a pretty respectable output. Therefore the problem seems to
35 be not on the download but the playback. Hmm, why would that be?
36
37 BTW, xine-check comes back good across the piece:
38 ===================================================
39 $ xine-check
40 Please be patient, this script may take a while to run...
41 [ good ] you're using Linux, doing specific tests
42 [ good ] looks like you have a /proc filesystem mounted.
43 [ good ] You seem to have a reasonable kernel version (2.6.20-gentoo-r8)
44 [ good ] intel compatible processor, checking MTRR support
45 [ good ] you have MTRR support and there are some ranges set.
46 [ good ] found the player at /usr/bin/xine
47 [ good ] /usr/bin/xine is in your PATH
48 [ good ] found /usr/bin/xine-config in your PATH
49 [ good ] plugin directory /usr/lib/xine/plugins/1.1.4 exists.
50 [ good ] found unknown plugin: xineplug_flac.so
51 [ good ] found input plugins
52 [ good ] found demux plugins
53 [ good ] found decoder plugins
54 [ good ] found video_out plugins
55 [ good ] found audio_out plugins
56 [ good ] skin directory /usr/share/xine/skins exists.
57 [ good ] found logo in /usr/share/xine/skins
58 [ good ] I even found some skins.
59 [ good ] /dev/cdrom points to /dev/hdc
60 [ good ] /dev/dvd points to /dev/hdc
61 [ good ] DMA is enabled for your DVD drive
62 [ good ] found xvinfo: X-Video Extension version 2.2
63 [ good ] your Xv extension supports YV12 overlays (improves MPEG performance)
64 [ good ] your Xv extension supports YUY2 overlays
65 [ good ] Xv ports: RGBA RGBT RGB2 YUY2 UYVY YV12 I420
69 Regards,
70 Mick