From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] time for an emerge -e world?
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 16:03:28
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 17:48 on Wednesday 24 November 2010, Kevin
2 O'Gorman did opine thusly:
3
4 > On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Alan McKinnon
5 <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>wrote:
6 > > Apparently, though unproven, at 20:54 on Friday 19 November 2010, Allan
7 > >
8 > > Gottlieb did opine thusly:
9 > > > > It seems, however, that you're still going down the path of emerge
10 > > > >
11 > > > > -e @world. Why is that? If it's just to be confident that everything
12 > > > > is back to the way it should be then I understand that. I've done it
13 > > > > myself many times in the last 12 years.
14 > > >
15 > > > Yes that is the reason.
16 > >
17 > > Sounds like the big guns approach, can be valid at times.
18 > >
19 > > I'm usually the first one to chip in about emerge -e world being stupid
20 > > when
21 > > someone reads the gcc upgrade guide, but sometimes you have a box that
22 > > just will not fix itself despite hours of troubleshooting. In a case
23 > > like this a full remerge often fixes mysterious but actual real
24 > > problems.
25 >
26 > I've had pretty much the same thing happen. In my case, 'eix' showed that
27 > I had 0.9.8p and 1.0.0 installed
28 > in two different slots. However the 3 files that belong to 0.9.8 were
29 > missing. Fortunately, I run with --buildpkg
30 > so I had a binary package lying around. Emerging it with -gK restored the
31 > files, and everything was okay.
32 >
33 > OTOH, a couple of years ago I did an emerge -e and regretted it. It kept
34 > stopping because something wasn't
35 > configured right, and I had to go through dispatch-conf on everything up to
36 > that point before I could get it to
37 > proceed. Good luck with your "few days". Mine was more like 2 weeks of
38 > stop-and-go.
41 Ah, the joys of source-based distros :-)
42
43 If you break it, you get to keep all 47,392 pieces!
44 I keep promising to leave gentoo behind and find something less thrilling.
45 Then I use by Ubuntu netbook for a few days and come right back.
46
47 It's like a heroin junkie needing his fix...
50 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com