From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] time for an emerge -e world?
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 16:27:41
1 On 11/24/10 17:03:34, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 17:48 on Wednesday 24 November 2010,
3 > Kevin
4 > O'Gorman did opine thusly:
5 >
6 > > On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Alan McKinnon
7 > <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>wrote:
8 > > > Apparently, though unproven, at 20:54 on Friday 19 November 2010,
9 > Allan
10 > > >
11 > > > Gottlieb did opine thusly:
12 > > > > > It seems, however, that you're still going down the path
13 > of
14 > emerge
15 > > > > >
16 > > > > > -e @world. Why is that? If it's just to be confident that
17 > everything
18 > > > > > is back to the way it should be then I understand that. I've
19 > done it
20 > > > > > myself many times in the last 12 years.
21 > > > >
22 > > > > Yes that is the reason.
23 > > >
24 > > > Sounds like the big guns approach, can be valid at times.
25 > > >
26 > > > I'm usually the first one to chip in about emerge -e world being
27 > stupid
28 > > > when
29 > > > someone reads the gcc upgrade guide, but sometimes you have a box
30 > that
31 > > > just will not fix itself despite hours of troubleshooting. In a
32 > case
33 > > > like this a full remerge often fixes mysterious but actual real
34 > > > problems.
35 > >
36 > > I've had pretty much the same thing happen. In my case, 'eix'
37 > showed that
38 > > I had 0.9.8p and 1.0.0 installed
39 > > in two different slots. However the 3 files that belong to 0.9.8
40 > were
41 > > missing. Fortunately, I run with --buildpkg
42 > > so I had a binary package lying around. Emerging it with -gK
43 > restored the
44 > > files, and everything was okay.
45 > >
46 > > OTOH, a couple of years ago I did an emerge -e and regretted it.
47 > It
48 > kept
49 > > stopping because something wasn't
50 > > configured right, and I had to go through dispatch-conf on
51 > everything up to
52 > > that point before I could get it to
53 > > proceed. Good luck with your "few days". Mine was more like 2
54 > weeks of
55 > > stop-and-go.
58 > Ah, the joys of source-based distros :-)
59 >
60 > If you break it, you get to keep all 47,392 pieces!
61 > I keep promising to leave gentoo behind and find something less
62 > thrilling.
63 > Then I use by Ubuntu netbook for a few days and come right back.
64 >
65 > It's like a heroin junkie needing his fix...
68 I have been doing emerge -e world just recently.
69 The first few days I felt like a disc jockey, here a use flag in
70 there out.
71 But then the real problem was that Gentoo is changing quite fast.
72 All packages which failed to rebuild couldn't be rebuilt on an up-to-
73 date machine either, since meanwhile I have installed a newer version
74 sys-devel/autoconf and friends and some packages cannot be rebuilt with
75 a recent version of these tools. I just didn't notice it on my master
76 machine since there was no need to rebuild these packages. But trying
77 to do so now revealed the true cause of the error -> some bug reports.
78
79 Helmut.