From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] KDE desktop vanishing
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2014 14:30:23
1 On Wednesday 05 November 2014 13:26:11 I wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 05 November 2014 12:32:53 J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 > > On Wednesday, November 05, 2014 10:31:39 AM Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 > > > Hello list,
5 > > >
6 > > > Does anyone know why, sometimes, when I log in to KDE via KDM, all my
7 > > > applications have disappeared? Sometimes they're visible in the task bar
8 > > > but clicking on one doesn't bring it up, and sometimes the task bar is
9 > > > blank. Sometimes logging out and in again used to fix it, nowadays
10 > > > mostly not.
11 > > >
12 > > > The only thing that's unaffected by all this is gkrellm, which is set to
13 > > > behave as a dock or panel.
14 > > >
15 > > > It's as though a new Activity had been created without action by me, but
16 > > > no
17 > > > amount of fiddling with the New Activity button gets me any closer to an
18 > > > understanding. Personally, I'd be happy to have the whole concept of
19 > > > activities stripped out. I don't suppose there's any way for me to do
20 > > > anything like that as a user or sysadmin?
21 > > >
22 > > > This happened to me again yesterday, and I ended up creating a new user
23 > > > from scratch and importing e-mails, copying the .mozilla and .opera
24 > > > directories and so on - only to find that that's been hidden today as
25 > > > well.
26 > >
27 > > I haven't seen this behaviour myself.
28 > >
29 > > Do you also copy the ".kde" folder back?
30 >
31 > If you mean .kde4, no I don't copy that, on the assumption that it would
32 > include whatever quirk had caused my vanishing-desktop problem.
33
34 Now this is getting weirder. Just now I followed the clicks to create a new
35 activity, then chose "Clone current activity" and lo! and behold! my desktop
36 sprang into view.
37
38 What the devil is going on? How many "activities" do I now have?
41 Rgds
42 Peter