From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev + /usr
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 13:48:58
1 On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 3:01 AM, Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > There are not many people who agree with you here.
3 > The changes will lead to a C:-drive, similar to MS Windows, where everything
4 > has to be a single partition.
5
6 Technically, this isn't true. %PROGRAMFILES need not be on
7 %SYSTEMDRIVE%. %PROGRAMFILES(x86)% need not be on the same drive as
8 %PROGRAMFILES%. I believe most of the system key locations are allowed
9 to be in disparate locations.
10
11 > For various reasons, using seperate partitions are a better solution:
12 > -  It allows for the use of filesystems better suited to the type of files and
13 > usage on each partition.
14 > - It prevents a single part of the filesystem to kill the entire system. (I
15 > can risk loosing 1 partition and not loose the rest of my data)
16
17 Fully concur.
18
19 >> In my humble opinion, what you just said is a little pedantic. You can
20 >> disagree with the proposed changes, you can argue why you think
21 >> another approach could be better. But just saying "the implementation
22 >> of it isn't  thought through", is a little insulting to the devs. I
23 >> think they though about the implementation a lot.
24 >
25 > They may have thought about it, but didn't think things through.
26 > I have already stated a better way of doing it in the past few days. I will
27 > repeat it here.
28 >
29 > The problem-scope that udev is TRYING to solve should NOT be solved in a
30 > single tool.
31
32 Concur.
33
34 > The main purpose of udev is to populate the /dev-tree.
35 > The running of scripts based on /dev-tree events should be in a seperate tool
36 > that starts later in the boot-process.
37
38 I'm not *entirely* convinced this is the case, because it feels like
39 some situations like network devices (nbd, iSCSI) or loopback would
40 require userland tools to bring up once networking is up.
41
42 > Merging these 2, without properly handling failures, is bad design.
43
44 Concur.
45
46 >> Again, to me is not "breaking it". To me is "improving it".
47 >
48 > Adding another SPOF (Single Point Of Failure) is not an improvement.
49
50 Concur.
53 :wq