From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev + /usr
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 07:03:19
1 On Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:30:03 AM Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 1:52 AM, Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday, September 13, 2011 06:33:01 PM Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
4 > >> On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 6:10 PM, Michael Schreckenbauer
5 > >> <grimlog@×××.de>
6 > >
7 > > wrote:
8 > >> > If gentoo follows fedora on this mandatory initramfs trail, I'll
9 > >> > switch to FreeBSD completely. My software works on way more
10 > >> > systems than just "Linux".
11 > >>
12 > >> That's of course your prerogative. And, as I said before: "Linux
13 > >> strives to be much more than Unix, and that means do things
14 > >> differently." If you want to do things the same way that it was done
15 > >> in the last 20 years, maybe Linux is not the best of choices.
16 > >
17 > > I read it before, but to be much more then Unix, Linux should be doing
18 > > things better. Being different is what led to MS Windows'
19 >
20 > But that's the thing: we (you and me) don't see the situation the same
21 > way. To me, the proposed changes are for the better.
22
23 There are not many people who agree with you here.
24 The changes will lead to a C:-drive, similar to MS Windows, where everything
25 has to be a single partition.
26 For various reasons, using seperate partitions are a better solution:
27 - It allows for the use of filesystems better suited to the type of files and
28 usage on each partition.
29 - It prevents a single part of the filesystem to kill the entire system. (I
30 can risk loosing 1 partition and not loose the rest of my data)
31
32 > >> I myself think the new technologies are worth to change the way we did
33 > >> things before. But that's just me.
34 > >
35 > > The new technologies have great merit. But, the implementation of it
36 > > isn't thought through.
37 >
38 > In my humble opinion, what you just said is a little pedantic. You can
39 > disagree with the proposed changes, you can argue why you think
40 > another approach could be better. But just saying "the implementation
41 > of it isn't thought through", is a little insulting to the devs. I
42 > think they though about the implementation a lot.
43
44 They may have thought about it, but didn't think things through.
45 I have already stated a better way of doing it in the past few days. I will
46 repeat it here.
47
48 The problem-scope that udev is TRYING to solve should NOT be solved in a
49 single tool.
50 The main purpose of udev is to populate the /dev-tree.
51 The running of scripts based on /dev-tree events should be in a seperate tool
52 that starts later in the boot-process.
53
54 Merging these 2, without properly handling failures, is bad design.
55 Forcing ALL Linux users to use a C-drive is one of the worst design flaws I
56 have ever encountered.
57 Forcing the use of an init* which can leave systems unbootable, is also a
58 design flaw.
59
60 How do you propose to fix the situation where the init* is broken and someone
61 is unable to mount all the filesystems needed to rebuild the init* because
62 udev, which SHOULD be populating the /dev-tree, refuses to do the single job
63 it is designed to do?
64 Then rethink about the fact that not all computers are easily accessible
65 and/or have cd-drives/usb-ports active.
66 My desktop has them active, my servers don't as I do not need USB on the
67 server.
68
69 > >> >> And maybe I shouldn't even mention it, but I don't use OpenRC. I
70 > >> >> use
71 > >> >> systemd. And it works great on Gentoo.
72 > >> >
73 > >> > Well. Linux only. If I wanted a monoculture, I would use
74 > >> > MS-Windows or
75 > >> > OSX.
76 > >>
77 > >> Relax man. I mention what I use: I'm not forcing you (or anybody else)
78 > >> to use it. But I repeat (because I said it before) that I care about
79 > >> Linux, and Linux only.
80 > >
81 > > If you care about Linux, why do you allow it to be broken in such a
82 > > fundamental way?
83 >
84 > Again, to me is not "breaking it". To me is "improving it".
85
86 Adding another SPOF (Single Point Of Failure) is not an improvement.
89 Joost