From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT, game-related,long] Changing file dates?
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 12:51:06
1 YoYo Siska schreef:
2 > Holly Bostick wrote:
3 >
4 >>What I would like is a way to change the date of specific files to a
5 >>specific date (in the past), without "changing" (editing) them, which is
6 >>not an option with the original Morrowind files (or, if it is possible,
7 >>it's only so with additional external tools and a whole lot of difficulty).
8 >>
9 >>Is this even possible to do? Now that I've said it "out loud", it
10 >>doesn't sound like something Linux would want me to do at all, but
11 >>perhaps there's some reason that server admins might need to do such a
12 >>thing, in which case Linux definitely provides a way to do it.
17 > if you just want to change the (modification/acces) time of a file:
18 >
19 > man touch
20 >
21 > see the -t or -d option
22 > (-r can be handy too)
25 > yoyo
28 Thank you both very much... one small step further towards cli guruhood
29 (I've heard of touch, but that's about all I could say about it, until now).
30
31 FWIW, the problem actually was that the file dates were too recent; as
32 soon as I copied over the same-original-but-older-timestamp files to the
33 game directory (because I did that before you guys told me about touch)
34 and fired up the game, all of a sudden, the new textures from the
35 plugin(s) were visible (overriding the original as they were supposed to).
36
37 So I'm happy to know that there's a much easier way to do it, while I
38 wait to see if anyone has more help on the liflg forums than what I've
39 got so far :-) .
40
41 Thanks again.
42