From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: btrfs raid 5/6
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2017 23:28:53
1 On Fri, Dec 01, 2017 at 12:14:12PM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 11:58 AM, Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 > > On 27/11/17 22:30, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
4 > >> […]
5 > >> Is anyone here successfully using btrfs raid 5/6? What is the status of
6 > >> scrub and self healing? The btrfs wiki is woefully out of date :(
7 > >>
8 > > […]
9 > > Thing is, with raid-6 over four drives, you have a 100% certainty of
10 > > surviving a two-disk failure. With raid-10 you have a 33% chance of
11 > > losing your array.
12 > >
13 > […]
14 > I tend to be a fan of parity raid in general for these reasons. I'm
15 > not sure the performance gains with raid-10 are enough to warrant the
16 > waste of space.
17 > […]
18 > and when I finally moved it to ZFS
19 > […]
20
21 I am about to upgrade my Gentoo-NAS from 2× to 4×6 TB WD Red (non-pro). The
22 current setup is a ZFS mirror. I had been holding off the purchase for months,
23 all the while pondering on which RAID scheme to use. First it was raidz1 due
24 to space (I only have four bays), but eventually discarded it due to reduced
25 resilience.
26
27 Which brought me to raidz2 (any 2 drives may fail). But then I came across
28 that famous post by a developer on “You should always use mirrors unless you
29 are really really sure what you’re doing”. The main points were higher strain
30 on the entire array during resilvering (all drives nead to read everything
31 instead of just one drive) and easier maintainability of a mirror set (e.g.
32 faster and easier upgrade).
33
34 I don’t really care about performance. It’s a simple media archive powered
35 by the cheapest Haswell Celeron I could get (with 16 Gigs of ECC RAM though
36 ^^). Sorry if I more or less stole the thread, but this is almost the same
37 topic. I could use a nudge in either direction. My workplace’s storage
38 comprises many 2× mirrors, but I am not a company and I am capped at four
39 bays.
40
41 So, Do you have any input for me before I fetch the dice?
44 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
45 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
46
47 All PCs are compatible. Some are just more compatible than others.