From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: new machine : case + power
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 12:52:30
1 On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 2:29 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > PSUs are not expensive and there's lots of other things one can save
4 > cash on. I firmly believe cutting corners with PSUs is like saving money
5 > by not replacing oil filters - you save some cash now, and cause
6 > yourself enormous expense later
9 ++
10
11 Also, my sense is that vendors have realized they're starting to
12 really hit the practical limits on PC power consumption. That means
13 that if you invest in a decent power supply now there is a good chance
14 that you'll get a lot more life out of it than in the past where they
15 seemed to double in capacity every other year. Sure, maybe the next
16 AMD chip will pull 500W, the next GPU will pull another 750W, and the
17 peltier cooling for both will pull another 75W, but I think that when
18 people have to start running additional power lines to their office
19 and install an extra AC in the room or install a cooling tower they'll
20 draw the line.
23 Rich