From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: new machine : case + power
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 06:30:15
1 On 17/09/2015 05:38, james wrote:
2 >> 150914 Mobo : Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P 970+SB950 DDR3 2000 : 119.99
3 >> > 2x PCI-Express x16 GLAN 6xSATA 6.0 Gb/s 4xUSB 3.0 14xUSB 2.0
4 > I have (3) of the Ggiabyte 990A-UD3P mobos:: I love mine
5 >
6 > Very extensive wiring needs, plus you have to match the video card
7 > power needs to the power supply. None of my older PS would fit the bill.
8 > Also, there has been a quiet revolution in power supply. The efficiency
9 > of the switching circuits will save you more money in the long run
10 > and those electronics will deliver the cleanest power to your other
11 > electronics. PS have ratings so look at the efficiency and oversizing a bit
12 > from calculated loads is never a bad idea.
15 +1
16
17 Don't be tempted to cut corners on the PSU. It's the one component in a
18 computer that can "wear out" so to speak, and aged PSUs are responsible
19 for more issues than anything else (except maybe dodgy RAM with a few
20 dud cells).
21
22 PSUs are not expensive and there's lots of other things one can save
23 cash on. I firmly believe cutting corners with PSUs is like saving money
24 by not replacing oil filters - you save some cash now, and cause
25 yourself enormous expense later
28 Alan McKinnon
29 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com