From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: new machine : case + power
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 08:13:28
1 On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 08:29:38 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > Don't be tempted to cut corners on the PSU. It's the one component in a
4 > computer that can "wear out" so to speak, and aged PSUs are responsible
5 > for more issues than anything else (except maybe dodgy RAM with a few
6 > dud cells).
7
8 The important difference being that dodgy RAM only damages your software
9 (and sanity) whereas a faulty PSU can result in damage to components that
10 cost orders of magnitude more than it.
11
12 > I firmly believe cutting corners with PSUs is like saving money
13 > by not replacing oil filters - you save some cash now, and cause
14 > yourself enormous expense later
15
16 I must admit to never changing the oil filters on my computer, but I
17 agree with your sentiments...
21 Neil Bothwick
22
23 A friend in need may turn out to be a nuisance.