From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: new machine : case + power
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 06:56:22
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 17/09/2015 05:38, james wrote:
3 >>> 150914 Mobo : Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P 970+SB950 DDR3 2000 : 119.99
4 >>>> 2x PCI-Express x16 GLAN 6xSATA 6.0 Gb/s 4xUSB 3.0 14xUSB 2.0
5 >> I have (3) of the Ggiabyte 990A-UD3P mobos:: I love mine
6 >>
7 >> Very extensive wiring needs, plus you have to match the video card
8 >> power needs to the power supply. None of my older PS would fit the bill.
9 >> Also, there has been a quiet revolution in power supply. The efficiency
10 >> of the switching circuits will save you more money in the long run
11 >> and those electronics will deliver the cleanest power to your other
12 >> electronics. PS have ratings so look at the efficiency and oversizing a bit
13 >> from calculated loads is never a bad idea.
14 >
15 > +1
16 >
17 > Don't be tempted to cut corners on the PSU. It's the one component in a
18 > computer that can "wear out" so to speak, and aged PSUs are responsible
19 > for more issues than anything else (except maybe dodgy RAM with a few
20 > dud cells).
21 >
22 > PSUs are not expensive and there's lots of other things one can save
23 > cash on. I firmly believe cutting corners with PSUs is like saving money
24 > by not replacing oil filters - you save some cash now, and cause
25 > yourself enormous expense later
29 It's the one thing that is common to everything else. Most good power
30 supplies have protection but let's say that 12 VDC rail went to 16
31 volts. It would turn a perfectly working puter into a nice door stop,
32 pretty quick. It would likely burn out every component in the rig that
33 uses the 12 volt line, which a lot of stuff does.
34
35 Yea, skimping and getting a el cheapo power supply is a bad idea.
36
37 Dale
38