From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Print quality unreadable in Firefox
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 20:57:23
1 On 02/23/2016 07:40 PM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 02/23/2016 09:43 PM, Daniel Frey wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Lo and behold, it's not showing a bitmap font now:
5 >>
6 >> -----
7 >> # fc-match helvetica
8 >> n019003l.pfb: "Nimbus Sans L" "Regular"
9 >> -----
10 >>
11 >> I don't know if the font mapping is correct, but I refreshed a page on
12 >> bugs.g.o and I can print to PDF without the blocky fonts! So I don't
13 >> really care if the font mapping is correct now. I can print again! :-)
16 > Amazing, I guess I can stop bringing a JPEG of my boarding pass to the
17 > airport now.
21 Yeah, That was my other solution: screenshots. It was getting to be a
22 pain in the arse, but apparently not quite enough of a pain as it took
23 me two years to finally get around to fixing it.
24
25 What made me realize what was happening was looking at the source for
26 bugs.g.o and seeing it was asking for Helvetica. I noticed it wasn't
27 installed, then I googled for how to search fonts which led me to
28 fc-match, which then led to googling Helvetica for gentoo, which led to
29 liberation-fonts. I didn't even know you could use eselect to toggle
30 font groups until yesterday, and I've been using gentoo since 2003... I
31 figured if you installed fonts it would use them but that's not the case!
32
33 Oh well, learn something new every day. Now I just have to remember the
34 old thing I forgot because of this new thing I learned... sigh.