From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] unabridged english dictionary?
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2015 14:05:53
1 On 06/08/2015 09:55 PM, Stroller wrote:
2 >
3 > On Mon, 8 June 2015, at 2:25 pm, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
4 > wrote:
5 >> ... So I just ran across this word "emeried" and I can only find
6 >> emory. I think "emeried" is obscure in both meaning and usage.
7 >
8 > My 1970's copy of the 24-volume Oxford English Dictionary says that
9 > emery as a verb is to rub with emery (e.g. emery paper, I guess).
10 >
11 > So I guess an example sentence would be "before the panel can be
12 > repainted, it must be emeried until all traces of the paint have been
13 > removed."
14 >
15 > I agree this is obscure - I had to look it up, and my Mac's
16 > Dictionary.app doesn't contain it, either.
17 >
18 Not really obscure. Emery paper is a "standard" type of sandpaper.
19 Emeried would fall under the same as sanded - sandpaper, buffed -
20 buffer, garrotted - garrotte, crapped - crap. But then again, I'm a
21 Structural Engineer/programmer not a linguist and technically failed
22 year 12 English :)
23
24 Andrew